× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Bad Ideas thread

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #67457 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Schol-R-LEA wrote: Bonus points if they are male in their current life.

:roflmao:

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #67538 by ShinyRock
ShinyRock replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
For some dumb reason I got a bit bored trying to think of a power based solely in biology and ended up looking at various old ideas including hydralisks... Long story short I figured out what I am slightly worried is a means of biological synthesis of Octol based on the formation of carbon chains in certain invertebrate's proteins, and ended up with three-stage mineralized spines that act as doubled up shaped charges (IE Tandem-warhead style) and the rest of the... 'case' fragments along the carbon and silicon-boron material comprising the rest of the barbed spine... The issue being the character is easily startled...
Possible humor, issues due to anti-tank weapons growing out of their flesh, also due to the *weird* dietary issues they would have, and most of all? the fact they would need to sweat out acetic acid... Also seriously Ammonium should not be tasty, but it would be. Dietary-speaking they would probably end up eating nitrate fertilizer as it contains one of the most essential parts of said biochemistry for the... 'nodules' covering their skin. I was thinking changer that almost turns itself inside out, either looks like a girl, or something from the tyranid's codex.
Mostly because it would be significantly funny if their response to being startled is to revert to 'combat form' and spray a mix of nitric acid, and borosilicate scales everywhere, or launch AT-spines.
Either glass and acid, or an RPG warhead.
... The issue is my muse tends to have the same hyper-focus issues, and uhhh... Apparently does not understand the concept of 'collateral damage' or 'overkill'.
Or that no organism I can think of could feed those energy requirements, that the mechanism is fragging insane from an evolution standpoint, that we couldn't come up with a mechanism to reduce damage from close-proximity to high explosives, or a better one for shrapnel then carbon-chain borosilicate nodule scales, or that there are, and as far as I know never have been any predators on earth that need a tandem warhead to kill. but then my muse insists the cute cold-blooded (literally of course) lizard girl who blows everything up when startled would be fun to write...
So much property damage...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #67539 by ShinyRock
Oh... and considering the composition of those spines? When she sheds they are going to need an EOD squad. Octol does not naturally decay as far as I know though the monomer-ester compound it's bonded with in this case reacts explosively to impacts... She sheds UXB hazards once a year.
Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by ShinyRock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
6 months 1 week ago #67548 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
I'm sure i remember reading that the wargaming club was barred from letting Jimmy T know about the Tyranid Sourcebook. :D

Measure Twice

More
6 months 3 days ago - 6 months 3 days ago #67638 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
While on the Discord, I had a wonderful Bad Idea for Gen 2: Midori-Twi (Senji Akibahara - hey, I'm being silly, OK?), a (sometimes) male Japanese Exemplar with PK hair powers and who Impresses on the character of Tail Red from Gonna be the Twintail! . This has so much creepy potential to it, really (though maybe not quite as over the top as in the actual show he's so fascinated by). I can only imagine how the likes of Tiff Lock and her brother Squalling will react to that, never mind Billie (should she happen to hear about this student from another alumna).

Better still, I don't think we've heard who the Gen 2 Ping Pong's roommate in Melville is, and given that the series was running in 2012, it would be the right timing for a junior who manifested around then... But then, as an RA, Kelly probably has a single, so that's not likely. Former roommates, maybe.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 6 months 3 days ago by Schol-R-LEA.

More
6 months 1 day ago #67661 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

ShinyRock wrote: as far as I know never have been any predators on earth that need a tandem warhead to kill.

Not on this Earth, but the WU is one that has a predator for Demons and other class X nasty, as well as GOO (Tennyo)

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
6 months 23 hours ago #67672 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

ShinyRock wrote: Possible humor, issues due to anti-tank weapons growing out of their flesh, also due to the *weird* dietary issues they would have, and most of all? the fact they would need to sweat out acetic acid... Also seriously Ammonium should not be tasty, but it would be.

Many Europeans would disagree . Icelanders as well.

ShinyRock wrote: Dietary-speaking they would probably end up eating nitrate fertilizer as it contains one of the most essential parts of said biochemistry for the... 'nodules' covering their skin.

How much is she producing? Proteins are composed of amino acids; if the process can filter urea from the blood, that would take a load off the kidneys. Even better if it can use trimethylamine N-oxide (the reason greenland shark can't be eaten fresh)!

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
4 months 1 week ago #68184 by ShinyRock

null0trooper wrote: How much is she producing? Proteins are composed of amino acids; if the process can filter urea from the blood, that would take a load off the kidneys. Even better if it can use trimethylamine N-oxide (the reason greenland shark can't be eaten fresh)!

Ohhh that's a good idea... There are plenty of things the kidneys take care of that could be useful...
That said? looking over my chemistry, the TNT part seems a bit... off? It COULD work but would be way less efficient then just using HMX directly after synthesis. It's not like I need it to be meta-castable. So Octogen is it I guess. Still very nasty in it's own right though it's a bit too stable in some ways.
Wait... If I am reading this right I think it might end up with the exact composition of the metallic-content differing with her diet, in which case it could end up as anything from an iron-copper composite (the standard) to heavy metals, or even lanthanides. Mostly because the only way I can see for the... Volatile chemical processes to not totally screw over her cells genetics would be if they had insane auto-correct. Hence the quad-helix based DNA, and the high-carbon proteins in the blood from the bone marrow to sponge up any chemicals that get out of place.
Could likely eat most anything, but also would be immune to most forms of medication and would require some really odd neurotransmitters. Also brown-black blood due to high copper content in cell membranes to form protective oxide shell to keep the acidic compounds needed in her blood from killing her cells. Red + statue-of-liberty-green (that IS copper oxide after all...) would be a sorta dark brown to black color I think? also would dry black.
Also you are very right, her blood would probably need to contain that Trimethylamine N-oxide what with the ammonium content, and acidity to prevent proteins from unfolding.
Gods her blood is both fascinating, and toxic. Also mildly corrosive (think drain-cleaner, but more of a chemical soup) , and a moderate contact irritant.
... Also her blood would smell like drain-cleaner (paraformaldehyde, Acetic anhydride and Lots of ammonium family chemicals)

• null0trooper
  • Away
  • Old One
  • Old One
More
4 months 1 week ago #68186 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

ShinyRock wrote: Red + statue-of-liberty-green (that IS copper oxide after all...)

It's dicopper chloride trihydroxide (verdigris, or (Cu2(OH)3Cl)). Away from salty water, copper carbonate hydroxide ( Cu2CO3 (OH)2 or malachite) is favored.

The oxides are red (Cu2O) or black (CuO) (You'll see lots of green in Googled Images where the surface of a copper oxide specimen has been weathered, i.e., CO2 + H2O for the win.

tl,dr: added organic copper is likely to look like sludge

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
4 months 1 week ago #68187 by ShinyRock
So probably thick brown blood that smells like drain cleaner.and acetic acid. Would you say it would be like the color of burnt chocolate, or more like dissolved rust?
In either case the chemical components, high salinity of the blood, and acidity would result in the copper bonding with H2O probably.
I kinda like the idea of burnt-orange blood, as it's wonderfully alien, and for the character I have in mind will likely trigger a panic attack since wanting to fit in with her family was such a driving factor. This is going to be !!FUN!!

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds