× Similar to the main general chat... but let's keep this limited to topics directly relating to writing and Independent Fiction.

Posting rules: Any registered member can create or post to a thread.

The Bad Ideas thread

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69124 by Mister D
Mister D replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

null0trooper wrote:

ShinyRock wrote: Bad idea: We already have scary-ass mage, scary-ass avatars out the whazoo, and scary-ass devisors, so why not a scary-ass manifestor?

How about a Manifestor-1 who never learned he could only make one type of stuff?

Depends upon what you mean as stuff.

If you mean a single material, then the examples of Beltane, and Robert Rose,who are only able to manifest ectoplasm, but it's what they do with it that counts.

Ribbon, and Porcelain, also spring to mind.

Measure Twice

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #69125 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Mister D wrote:

null0trooper wrote:

ShinyRock wrote: Bad idea: We already have scary-ass mage, scary-ass avatars out the whazoo, and scary-ass devisors, so why not a scary-ass manifestor?

How about a Manifestor-1 who never learned he could only make one type of stuff?

Depends upon what you mean as stuff.

Machine oil, lockpicks, makeup, simple blades... useful things that don't have to persist once they're more than a few cm away. Practice may be needed, but most powers require that.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

• Schol-R-LEA
  • Away
  • Servitor
  • Servitor
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #69127 by Schol-R-LEA
Schol-R-LEA replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
Silly idea: a slight, waifish manifestor/devisor/regen with resistance to both heavy metals and ionizing radiation, with the ability to manifest simple metal tools (note that i don't specify the metals... she doesn't really want people to know some of the ones she can create) which can last up to five hours but only so long as it is within three meters of her.

As a joke, she asks for the codename 'Die' (as in a die for casting metal), figuring that the disconnect between her name and her appearance would be amusing. She plays coy as to why she's called that, hinting that she has some incredibly dangerous power (she does, but it has to do with those types of metals she won't admit she can manifest).

I expect that you can guess how this backfires.

Out, damnéd Spot! Bad Doggy!
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
3 months 6 days ago #69217 by Cryptic
Cryptic replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
Bit of a tragic idea I had when writing and an "If you were molested by (Clergy/Scout Leader" comercial was on:
M2F changeling. who's chang could be possibly traced back to their belief that "Only girls get raped."

I am a caffeine heathen; I prefer the waters of the mountain over the juice of the bean. Keep the Dews coming and no one will be hurt.

More
3 months 5 days ago #69223 by Sir Lee
Sir Lee replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Cryptic wrote: Bit of a tragic idea I had when writing and an "If you were molested by (Clergy/Scout Leader" comercial was on:
M2F changeling. who's chang could be possibly traced back to their belief that "Only girls get raped."

I can see where you are coming from, and it might work... as small part of a more extensive exploration of a royally messed-up character raised by very strict, possibly abusive (not necessarily in the sexual way) nineteen-century minds. By itself, however, I think it would be feel... I don't know... simplistic? Cheap?
What I mean is that this would be the sort of thing that would come after extensive therapy -- and let's keep in mind that "mindset influencing the nature of the mutation" is at best an unproven hypothesis, so it's not like Dr. Bellows (who is a competent psychiatrist) would fixate on "whatever caused you to change into a girl". The real story would be how the character rises above the mindfuckery she grew up with, perhaps even more than overcoming the trauma of sexual abuse.

Don't call me "Shirley." You will surely make me surly.

More
3 months 3 days ago #69247 by Heckfire
Heckfire replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
I suppose this is a good place to gauge what the temperament of the forum is...my bad idea is the one I based my old story, "Maisy Gets Schooled" on: One of Whateley Academy's more successful alumni, an inventor/devisor with a flare for robots, wills some of his old property to the Academy. While excavating it for additional school renovations, they find one of his old labs and, inside it, a sentient A.I. android named "Maisy," seemingly a prototype version of the long-lost robot heroine he was best known for creating. In order to keep his daughter, who inherited the company he founded, from dismantling her for study, Maisy blackmails her by pointing out "Why would a genius inventor make an anatomically-accurate robot in the shape of a pre-teen girl..?" then threatens to upload his "private stash" to the Internet if so much as a bolt is unscrewed on her. Caught between a company-killing scandal and one of the most advanced and potentially profitable single pieces of technology on the planet, the daughter is fortunately spared by the intervention of Headmistress Carson, who offers to enroll Maisy as a student and allow the daughter's scientists to study her non-destructively so long as Maisy keeps her true A.I. nature hidden, since it IS a school full of potential mad scientists far less scrupulous than the daughter.

There's other revelations later about Maisy's full capabilities and whether the victims of her creator were actually even from this universe, but that's later story stuff...TL, DR version: a dead pedophile's former robot sexdoll blackmails her way into attending Whateley in the hopes of proving she's more than "a glorfied wanksock for a sexual predator" at the risk of exposing herself to teenage supervillains-in-training itching to get control of a sentient A.I. in a superpowered chassis.

More
3 months 1 day ago #69263 by Mylian
Mylian replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread
Some might be squicked, but I'd read it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heckfire

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #69301 by Heckfire
Well, a week and the only response so far is "I'd read it," I consider that a positive sign..? OK, one a little more severe...

IDEA: a child in an abusive home situation manifests and pretty much monstrously flares out at an abnormally early age, like 6, and brutally murders (and eats most of) all present, including their family...thing is, they end up a GSD case so severe that they're mistaken for their own mother and is tried as an adult of multiple cases of first-degree murder and cannibalism (can you be convicted for that?), only narrowly escaping the death penalty due to being obviously out of their mind at the time. About a decade later, their mother's actual corpse is found; she'd been murdered by her husband, likely the child's stepfather, shortly before they manifested (and may have been the trigger for it) which is why there was no sign of her body at the crime scene. Realizing that the GSD case is actually only 14 years old, and taking into account that they've been a relatively model prisoner (especially for a mass-murdering cannibal, albeit one who was apparently pushed past their breaking point at the time), they're is given a probationary release and turned over to Whateley, since the school would likely be the only place that could salvage their life after the gross miscarriage of justice inflicted upon them.

So...thoughts, corrections, ideas?
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Heckfire. Reason: Making them gender neutral

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #69307 by null0trooper
null0trooper replied the topic: The Bad Ideas thread

Heckfire wrote: thing is, they end up a GSD case so severe that they're mistaken for their own mother

What does their mother look like?

GSD refers solely to alterations outside the human base state. Novel color palettes, extra organs or appendages, scales or claws -- these are GSD. Enhanced muscular development, facial reconstruction, regenerative repairs, or, yes, gender reassignment are considered base state alterations within the norm.

Forum-posted ideas are freely adoptable.

WhatIF Stories: Dream A Little Dream For Me

Discussion Thread

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #69312 by Heckfire

null0trooper wrote: What does their mother look like?

Not like a 6-year-old child, that's for damn sure...the character I had in mind ended up becoming an 8-foot-tall adult "minotauress" (original version of the character was also intersexed, but I'm debating if I wanna go that route or not...that's why I'm leaving the child's original sex vague for now), which is why they were confused for their mother, since adult manifestations DO happen (see also: Eldrich, Hive, someone named Ribbon who I still need to read up on...) and the minotauress looked more like her than the child. I suppose the question of where the child went might also be up in the air, but that might be who they were expecting to find when they found the mother's actual body.

...for the record, the actual reason for the manifestation is something to be revealed in the story, so in case I write it, I'm not saying it here.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Heckfire.

Moderators: WhateleyAdminKristin DarkenE. E. NalleyelrodwNagrijMageOhkiAstrodragonNeoMagusWarrenMorpheusWasamonsleethrOtherEricBek D CorbinMaLAguASouffle GirlPhoenix SpiritusStarwolfDanZillaKatie_LynMaggie FinsonDrBenderJGBladedancerRenae_Whateley
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds